Our Mission, Vision and Five-Year Strategic Plan
The world is always changing; The ArQuives is changing too. In 2017, we made a new Strategic Plan to guide our efforts to build on our current strengths and to develop new opportunities. At the centre of this Strategic Plan is our desire to pursue our mission to collect, preserve, and share the histories of LGBTQ2+ people in Canada in a way that reflects the diversities and values of our communities.
The ArQuives aspires to be a significant resource and catalyst for those who strive for a future world where LGBTQ2+ people are accepted, valued, and celebrated.
The ArQuives was established to aid in the recovery and preservation of our histories. Its mandate is to:
Acquire, preserve, organize, and give public access to information and materials in any medium, by and about LGBTQ2+ people, primarily produced in or concerning Canada; and
Maintain a research library, international research files, and an international collection of queer and trans periodicals
There are six priorities at the core of our 2018–2022 Strategic Plan are six priorities that will drive The ArQuives’s actions and choices over the next five years. Attending to these priorities will help us carry out our mission to keep our stories alive and share these stories with our communities and beyond.
Priority #1: Improved Public Profile
In order to collect, preserve, and share the diversity of LGBTQ2+ stories, The ArQuives must ensure we are adequately serving all the communities we aim to serve. We must also ensure our reputation and our branding accurately reflect this mission. How will we achieve this:
- Adopt a new name that will serve us well into the future, drawing on community consultations.
- Carry out a rebranding campaign aligned with the new name.
- Complete a needs assessment of users and non-users of The ArQuives and use this to inform our operations.
- Improve responsiveness, including wait times, to the communities we serve.
Priority #2: Building our Collections through Building Relationships
To build our collections and to make sure they reflect the diversity of LGBTQ2+ people in Canada, as well as to maximize the use of those collections, The ArQuives needs to develop and maintain relationships with a diverse set of community organizations and individuals. How will we achieve this:
- Develop and execute a Collection Development Plan.
- Develop mutually beneficial, ongoing collaborations with other not-for-profits to ensure a more diverse set of collections.
Priority #3: A Diverse and Vibrant Team
For The ArQuives to achieve any of our priorities, we need people. We will maintain and build a vibrant, diverse, effective organization that attracts and retains the best staff, volunteers, and donors (of both essential archival material and much-needed funds). How will we achieve this:
- Improve the internal dynamics of The ArQuives in order to continue to be a caring, dedicated, and hard-working organization.
- Seek input from similar organizations to address growing pains.
- Engage more staff and volunteers from under-represented communities, with plans for retention, recruitment, and succession.
Priority #4: Improved Programming
Sharing our stories is essential to the mission of The ArQuives. We will develop dynamic, diverse, and exciting programming that engages both the wider public and our diverse communities and increases The ArQuives’s community profile. How will we achieve this:
- Develop and execute a new Programming Plan for improved, more diverse, and inclusive programming.
- Develop and execute an Educational Programming Plan.
- Secure a grant to fund programming staff.
Priority #5: The Right Space
As The ArQuives has grown and changed, our space requirements have changed. We need a new space with room to change and grow that can house our collection and future collections, as well as offer flexible and accessible space for public engagement, staff and volunteer work, and research. How will we achieve this:
- Develop a plan to assess The ArQuives’s current and future needs and to secure the right space.
- Launch a Capital Campaign to fund this space.
Priority #6: Sustainable and Diverse Funding
Diversified, steady, and secure funding is essential to achieving The ArQuives’s ambitious 2018-2022 Strategic Plan and to continuing to collect, preserve, and share our stories. How will we achieve this:
- Develop and execute a long-term Fundraising Plan that emphasizes the sustainability and diversity of funding sources.
- Improve our public profile to better facilitate fundraising.
This is our vision for The ArQuives’s next five years—one that will help us build a The ArQuives that reflects our diverse pasts and looks towards our futures.