The ArQuives (formerly the Canadian Lesbian and Gay Archives) is hiring an Archives Assistant (YCW) for a 12-week term, beginning June 6, 2022. The position will expose the student to a variety of archival situations designed to improve skills and allow the Archives to improve public access to its rich holdings of LGBTQ2+ heritage. The successful applicant will arrange & describe records, assist with reference services, and complete data entry, as required.
The successful candidate will:
- Meet requirements of the Young Canada Works program;
- Have completed at least 1 year of a graduate degree in archival studies, in which coursework has focused on archival arrangement and description and/or metadata;
- Be able to demonstrate the ability to apply RAD standard;
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with processing, arrangement, and description of personal papers and/or records of organizations through completed finding aids;
- Have excellent written & oral communication skills;
- Have an ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team;
- A strong commitment to the mission of The ArQuives.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Coursework or interest in LGBTQ2+ history;
- Possess the physical ability to lift and carry boxes weighing up to 30 pounds (up & down a set of stairs).
The ArQuives acknowledges and is committed to addressing historical inequities within our organization. We encourage applications from marginalized communities including those that identify as women, trans, non-binary, gender non-conforming, Black, Indigenous, people of colour, and persons with disabilities.
Organization website: www.arquives.ca
Application deadline: May 13, 2022
How to apply: Email a cover letter and CV to the attention of Raegan Swanson, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary: $20/hr; 37.5 hrs/wk.